Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Letter From My Dad

My parents, Drew and Priscilla, visiting us in Chicago. 2011. 

My dad sent us this email as some encouragement. The way my parents have loved my sister and me has made me realize what parenting and delighting in our children truly means. We have never for a second questioned how much we will love Miles. 

They say you always marry your father, and in so many ways I did. Everything I love in Bryce and the way he puts Weston and me first is exactly the family man my dad is. My dad took me for long walks at night growing up and would teach me about the stars. He played "the age game" with me and told me stories of his childhood. He tucked me in every single night and fluffed my pillow like no one could. He cooked me breakfast every morning and made my school lunches. One time I told him that the other moms put notes in their kid's lunch boxes so he started writing notes on my napkins. When I was diagnosed with Diabetes, he was the one on the sidelines of my soccer games, waiting with a juice box in hand. He was, and is, an unparalleled dad.  

This letter says it all: 

September 8, 2014

"Good Morning Allison and Bryce,

I'm sorry for what you are going through.  We know what it is like.  However, I want to leave you with some perspective.  There has never been a moment in my life when I thought it would be better without Andrea.  Having her has never prevented me from doing anything that I wanted to do.  I don't feel short changed in anyway.  I love her as much as I could love anyone, and consider her a complete blessing.  You will feel the same way about Miles. 

There are lots of good people in the world, and you will have all the support that you need.

Love Dad"

4 comments:

  1. That was so sweet. And so true!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way this is Nicole Campbell for some reason it's using my twitter name

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow...how amazing your father is!! May we all aspire to parent in the same way!!!

    ReplyDelete